It’s summer finally and i’m dreaming of my summer holidays and long lazy days at the beach or by the pool – ok i have kids so lets face it, it won’t be as relaxing as i’m making out but still a holiday is something to get excited about!
There is one little thing nagging at the back of my mind and I don’t think i’m the only woman who has this problem. I cannot under any circumstances feel comfortable and relaxed when i’m in a swimsuit. I think everyone’s looking at me, everyone is staring at every lump and bump, everyone looks better in a swimsuit than me and everyone else is more confident in their skin.
I’ve been all different sizes from an 8 to a 14 but I remember clearly that from a very young age I have never been happy or comfortable with my body in a swimsuit. Now I am a mother to two girls it’s really important to me to teach them to love themselves just the size or shape they are – so why can’t I manage to teach myself?
In my quest to find a swimsuit I am happy and confident in i’ve been doing a lot of research. I’ve searched high and low for the ‘Magic Swimsuit’ the one that instantly transforms me into a Victoria’s Secret model, and I’ll be honest I haven’t found it. I have however found loads of fantastic swimsuits that use clever tricks to flatter your shape, smooth your tummy, boost your assets and divert attention from the bits you don’t like.
Obviously i need to buy a few of these and try them on but i’m hoping that somewhere in here is my dream swimsuit and that maybe yours is here too!
My first selection are all shaping swimsuits – these are generally designed to lift and support your breasts, define your waist and make your stomach flatter by using hidden control panels, underwires and ruching.
- Tropical Paradise swimsuit £40 Maison de Nimes @ Debenhams, 2. Floral shape enhancing swimsuit £32 Next, 3. Frida underwired tummy control swimsut £50 Figleaves. 4. Polka dot swimsuit £21 Debenhams, 5. Beach Collection DD+ palm print swimsuit £31.20 Debenhams, 6. Rosie for Autograph secret slimming swimsuit £39.50 M&S.
These multicoloured striped swimsuits are EVERYWHERE but they aren’t just bang on trend they are also creating a very clever optical illusion, the stripes make your body appear longer and leaner.
- Multi-stripe swimsuit £24 Next, 2. Cross back swimsuit £20 Monki, 3. Striped scoop swimsuit £28 Topshop, 4. Riviera stripe swimsuit £35 Oasis, 5. Striped print swimsuit £19.99 Zara, 6. Cutabout stripe swimsuit £36 Warehouse.
The idea of ruffles is also an optical illusion – you use the ruffle to draw your eye away from areas you don’t want focused on. A ruffle around the shoulders or chest area will make your top half look bigger and make your waist and hips look smaller. They are are also super cute!
- Asymmetric contrast frill swimsuit £36 River Island, 2. Ruffle strap swimsuit £49 & other Stories. 3. Magisculpt tiered ruffle swimsuit £40 Simply Be. 4. Trapani swimsuit £65 Boden. 5. Tommy Hilfiger seersucker swimsuit £90 House of Fraser. 6. Mono fern bardot swimsuit £36 Warehouse.
Think you can’t wear a bikini? Think again! These high waisted numbers cover up and suck in your tummy.
- Leopard Print bikini top £26 and bottoms £16 Simply Be. 2. Crossed back bikini top £15 and bottoms £10 Monki. 3. Luana bandeau bikini top £30 and bottoms £20 Figleaves. 4. Red tie front bikini top £6 and bottoms £6 New Look, 5. Polka dot open belly swimsuit £25 Monki, 6. Floral print studded bikini top £24 and bottoms £18 River Island.
Still feeling shy? Me too. I don’t think I will ever be someone who happily wonders around in their swimwear, but that’s fine because there are loads a beautiful cover-ups to choose from below.
- Ibiza embroidered kaftan £20 Maison de Nimes @ House of Fraser,
- Stripe midi beach dress £34 River Island, 3. Floral kimono £25 Warehouse, 4. Stripe jumpsuit £32 Topshop, 5. Bardot shirred beach dress £16.80 Dorothy Perkins, Embroidered fringe beach kimono £45 Biba @ House of Fraser.
Wishing you a very happy summer holidays wherever you are going to be. Thanks very much for reading.